Performing an asset inventory will aid the archival transfer process in several ways. As the primary tool for characterizing an audiovisual collection, it will be used to:
- Determine a collection’s audience and uses
- Ascertain a collection’s access and archival requirements
- Establish the media formats to be digitized
- Create asset manifests for tracking physical movements
- Contain ancillary asset metadata
- Estimate and finalize costs
The asset inventory can come from an existing database or be started from scratch. It need not be a highly complicated instrument, often a spreadsheet works very well.